Foodiva's Kitchen: First Anniversary! - Lavender-Honey-Cardamom-Lemon Dark Chocolate Tart and Paper Blogoversary!

Monday, June 6, 2011

First Anniversary! - Lavender-Honey-Cardamom-Lemon Dark Chocolate Tart and Paper Blogoversary!



Today, Foodiva's Kitchen is 365 days, 178 posts, 92 followers, 31,481 visitors and 2255 comments old. Wow! 1 year old, my Paper Blogoversary. Who would’ve thought a year ago that I would come to know of this new word that’s not yet officially in any dictionary – Blogoversary? And who knew when I began Foodiva’s Kitchen that writing this blog would impact my daily life and the way my family eats in ways I hadn’t even envisaged?


Okay, here’s a blogoversary confession… I started blogging about food last June without really knowing what I was doing! My first post was actually not about food, it was about my dream kitchen, one filled with light, red storage cupboards and a chandelier (yes…silly, I know). Well, guess what? In a few weeks time, I will be cooking in that very kitchen when we move into our new house. It’s a complete surprise because it never occurred to me that anything I pen here is ever taken that seriously. So the lesson here is, it never hurts to dream…but if you blog about it, it may come true - double time ;-).
Those mini-bundt pans made the tartlets look a bit umm...tarty?
Anyway, I have learned so much since that first post, not only from the research, experimentation and introspection I've done for my own recipes and writing, but also from commenters and other bloggers who have shared their wisdom, creativity, successes and failures in their kitchens, culinary reviews and more importantly, their life stories. I’ve discovered that the community of food bloggers is one big support system that I’ve found it impossible to be bored, discouraged or stuck in a rut for too long. Someone out there will always pull you out of the doldrums. In fact, it’s hard to keep blogger friends away! LOL.




Foodiva's Kitchen has chronicled my journey from being a 'stranger' in the kitchen to someone who now spends many hours in the day making a mess in it. The blog itself has evolved from a personal cooking journal to a recipe resource not only for me but I hope for many others as well. I have invested a great deal of time in this blog and I have been repaid in full and then some by the enrichment my life has undergone with the simple act of writing, using my own experience as a way to connect and share with other bloggers from all over the world.


  I folded origami roses to celebrate my paper blogoversary

My thanks go out to everyone who has ever stumbled upon my words and taken the time to read them, and especially to those of you who've been reading and commenting from the beginning. I'd also like to thank all of my fellow food bloggers, from whom I have learned a great deal and by whom I have been inspired, for your contributions to this passionate community, which continues to grow and flourish.



I look forward to this new chapter of Foodiva’s Kitchen and everything the coming year has up its sleeve for my recipes, my writing and my relationships. So, to celebrate this milestone, I’ve made some very special mini-tarts for you - Lavender-Honey-Cardamom-Lemon Dark Chocolate Tartlets. In a departure from my usual unusual inventions, I have actually borrowed this recipe from Steph of Desserts for Breakfast. Two reasons why – 1. I’ve long admired her site and exemplary baking/photography/writing skills and 2. Don’t you just think “Desserts for Breakfast” is a great name? Yes, my kind of gal, totally.



So enjoy, and even if you’re not into desserts or chocolate (gasp), I’m sure the sight of these tarts will push you right over the edge!


Lavender-Honey-Cardamom-Lemon Dark Chocolate Tart
(recipe from Desserts for Breakfast)
Makes one 9-inch round tart, or 12 muffin-sized tartlets


Cardamom-Lemon Crust:
260g all-purpose flour
1 heaped teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 cup sugar
7 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into pieces
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons water, cold


1. Using a food processor or pastry cutter, mix the flour, cardamom, lemon zest, and sugar until combined. Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until the size of small peas.
2. Add the egg yolk and gradually add the lemon juice and water just until a dough begins to form when you press it between two fingers. Do not overmix.
3. Form the pastry into a ball and refrigerate for at least one hour. (or stick it in the freezer for a shorter amount of time.)
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/425F.
5. Remove the pastry dough from the fridge and press the dough into the tart pan. Prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork, cover with parchment paper, and weigh down using dry beans or pie weights. Return to freezer for a few minutes if the dough has softened.
6. Bake for approximately 13-15 minutes until the edges just begin to turn golden. Remove the beans and parchment paper and continue to bake for 3-5 minutes more, until the crust has completely turned golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.

Lavender-Honey-Chocolate Ganache Filling:
240g/ 10 oz heavy cream
1/4 cup dried lavender buds
340g/12 oz dark chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons butter
Coarse sea salt
Extra lavender buds

1. In a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, heat the cream and lavender buds until just barely a simmer. Cover and remove from heat. Let steep for at least ten minutes.
2. Place the chocolate and honey in a heat-proof bowl, place a fine mesh strainer on top, and set aside.
3. Add the butter to the cream and lavender bud mixture and return to a simmer. Once the cream simmers, remove from heat and pour the hot cream through the sieve onto the prepared chocolate, making sure to press all of the liquid from the lavender buds. Discard the lavender buds. Let the chocolate sit for 2-3 minutes.
4. Whisk until the chocolate is completely melted and evenly distributed.
5. Immediately pour into the prepared tart crust.
6. Using your fingers (or a mortar and pestle), rub together an equal but small amount of coarse salt and dried lavender buds. Sprinkle liberally over the top of the chocolate. Let the tart set at room temperature until completely cool, about 1-2 hours. (Set in the fridge if you’re in a hurry). Serve at room temperature.

53 comments:

Three-Cookies said...

Congratulations. Good strategy to put your dreams on blogs easily accessible by others who can put your dreams into reality:)

purabi naha said...

Congratulations on completing one year successfully! Yours is a great blog. I loved this recipe.

Unknown said...

@Three Cookies, well it wasn't really a strategy as the first post was made completely in jest. I didn't even know then that we were going to move this year, and once I found out, never even bothered to state my requirements for the new kitchen! I would still churn up my crazy stuff in any old kitchen, to be honest, but to do it in my ideal one is a real bonus ;-).

Unknown said...

@purabi naha, thank you. Appreciate you coming by!

Anonymous said...

How fun are those paper origami?? And, I may have to steal your flavor combination the next time I make ice cream!

Tasty Trix said...

Well, as you may know the one time I really DO love sweets is for breakfast! So this would be a perfect thing with coffee ... and happy blogoversary! Your blog is awesome and only continues to get better. Looking at all of your creations I can't believe you've only been at it for a year.
And I must know - will your new kitchen really have a chandelier?? I think I speak on behalf of all your readers when I say that photos WILL be required! xoxo

Alina---Explora Cuisine said...

Happy Blog Anniversary! I only discovered your blog recently but I'm very excited whenever I stop by, it has extraordinary recipes! Congratulations Maya for your hard work and keep delighting us with your recipes!

Unknown said...

@yummychunklet, all these flavors in an ice cream? Now you're making me dreamy.... Can't wait to see your post on it!

Unknown said...

Why, thank you, Trix. Yes, I do remember you mentioning the dessert for breakfast bit somewhere on your blog! Although I can't have this one for mine...it's too rich, I think I would go into a coma ;-}.

As for the new kitchen, yes, photos will be shared with the whole world! When we finally move in, of course.

Unknown said...

Aww...Alina, that's just too sweet of you. Sometimes it's hard work to continue coming up with new ideas, but most of the time I enjoy the challenge. It keeps me from being brain dead, and of course, makes me happy!

Roxan said...

Yay, happy blogiversary, Maya! It's been great getting to know you over the past year.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the blogaversary and on getting your dream kitchen! So happy for you, please post pics of ur new kitchen :) love the mini bund-tarts, the cardamom shot made me think of the cardamom rice pilaf from FFwD :)

Sandra said...

Dear Maya, I want to congratulate you on your blogs 1st B-day!! Happy Blogoversary! When I came first time on your blog I was blown away by your creativity and I still am to this day! I wish you many many more!!
Now your tart/s look amazingly delicious! I love those individual one's...very well done my friend!!
Enjoy!

Rochelle said...

First, I'd like to say congrats on your first blogoversary! It's great to reflect on what you've done over that time and think of what you want to do in the future.

Second, I'm just going to drool over these tarts, I mean wow!

the [sugar] apothecary said...

Awww congratulations! Actually moving into your dream kitchen?! So excited for you, and super jealous :) I'm glad your blog has served you well in the way of secretly requesting glorious red cabinets!
And those tarts... DROOL. They look unbelievable. I'm a sucker for melty chocolate. Congrats again!

Ana Helena Campbell said...

Just discover your blog today!!!I am so glad I did... It is so fun, creative and full of deliciousness... Have a very happy Blogoversary and thank you so much for sharing these delicious recipes and photos.

Unknown said...

Hi Roxan, many thanks. I enjoy being one of your 'regulars' too!

Unknown said...

Yuri@chefpandita, when I made these I remembered the cardamom rice pilaf as well! It looked like everyone else had that particular shot of peeled cardamom pods so here, I got to have mine too :-). Kitchen pictures will be posted as soon as all the dust and debris of construction have been wiped clean!

Unknown said...

Sandra and Rochelle, thank you for your lovely comments!

Unknown said...

@sugar apothecary, I'm a sucker for melty chocolate too. Or unmelty chocolate, for that matter!

Unknown said...

Ana Helena, welcome! So nice to have you over here for the first time, and on my 1st blogoversary. Hope you enjoyed this post and many others to come!

Jenny (VIntageSugarcube) said...

Soooo happy we found each other!! Your blog is mucho fantasticooo. Looking forward to many more posts from you my friend. XO

Torviewtoronto said...

deliciously done looks wonderful
check out my event food palette series purple

Unknown said...

Jenny babes, your Espanyol is so terrible that I understand what you're saying completely! LOL. Muchas gracias, mi amiga, my friend from the very beginning of this adventure :-).

Unknown said...

Akheela@Torview, thanks so much! Will check out your event, for sure :-).

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Congratulations on your blogaversary!!! And on your dreamy new kitchen...I hope you'll share it with us :) And what decadent, celebratory tarts...they are wonderful!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Lizzy! Ahh...the red kitchen. I hope it doesn't disappoint anyone - me included! LOL.

Alina---Explora Cuisine said...

I've send you an email regarding my soup, just wanted to make sure you'll check your spam :) Thank you!

Unknown said...

Got it and replied, Alina. Thanks very much, so sweet of you to clarify!

Erin said...

Congrats on for making it 1 year!! I am very new to this, about 7 weeks, so I still have so much to learn! I love reading your blog, and looking at your amazing pictures! You do a wonderful job! These tarts look delicious as well!

Ben said...

Happy bloganiversary!! yep, the sight of these tarts has pushed me over the edge,they look yum! :))

Carolyn said...

Happy Blogoversary! Wow, what a way to celebrate. Pass the tart, please!

Unknown said...

Erin, you've only been blogging since April and you already have 51 posts and 97 followers! Girl, you're going to go far...especially since your recipes are so yummilicious!

Unknown said...

Thanks Ben. Looking at all your delightful baked desserts, I thought you were ALREADY over the edge before we knew each other! LOL.

Unknown said...

Carolyn, thanks always for your immense support. You're an inspirational blogger and of course one of my blogging idols! Oh, and I want to run in the Boston Marathon like you someday ;-).

Anonymous said...

GOSH this is so tempting for me... you have no idea, but I'm getting ready for bikini season and the only thing sweet I've had has been either a bite of something or "soy joy" bar..

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Ohhhh! Congratulations Maya! 1 year is a big milestone. I'm only a half way and I can't imagine blogging another 6 months (LOL). You are so creative and Origami roses are so pretty, and the wired Foodiva's Kitchen is SUPER COOL! Your first post is really cute - red is my favorite color in the kitchen too! Now about this tart... I just can say WOW. I love you added my favorite cardamom in it. Looks SUPER good Maya! I wish I can bake something like this for my family. I can't bake ANYTHING! >_< Congrats again!

Juliana said...

Congratulations on your one year anniversary...and what a lovely way to celebrate such an special occasion. The tarts look delicious with all the nice flavors in it.
Hope you are having a great week Maya :-)

Unknown said...

Elle Marie, I've long given up on bikini season and applaud your determination to stay away from sweets!

Unknown said...

Nami, ok, so you say you can't bake but you seem to be able to cook everything else and they look really scrumptious! Besides, 'can't' is not an infinite word....I'm sure if I came over and we do some baking together, you'll be amazing at it.

Btw, you're the only one who commented on the wired banner (thanks!). It actually took me longer to craft that than to actually make the tart. Truth! :-) LOL.

Unknown said...

Thanks for dropping by with your lovely wishes, Juliana. You have a wonderful week too!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

hi Maya! happy blogaversary!!
this looks so lovely my friend. thank you for sharing this with us and have a great day.

Unknown said...

Heya Sarina@BBK Diaries, thanks for swinging by and for the lovely wishes. I just had a look at your peony-topped wedding cake, and wow...I am absolutely speechless! So stunning, my friend :-).

penny aka jeroxie said...

happy bloggy day! One year? You are such a pro and one of the more creative food bloggers I know. Love your work!

Unknown said...

wow..gorgeous lillte tarts...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Thanks, Penny. I don't know about being a pro, but I sure do enjoy messing around with recipes and showcasing the results here. I consider YOU the pro because you've always got a bit of everything on your blog and I truly enjoy reading you!

Unknown said...

Sameena, thanks for coming by!

Lemons and Anchovies said...

Happy blog anniversary to you! Wow, that's a lot of posts in one year! My blog (just over a year old) has also kicked up my time in the kitchen and it's been fun.

These tarts are such a great way to celebrate. I'm really into the cardamom flavor lately. Must try this, for sure! :-)

Roxana GreenGirl said...

Happy blog anniversary Maya. It's been a real pleasure to meet you and read your blog. Every time I visit I'm blown away by your amazing creations. Seems like you've been doing this for years.

The tarts looks amazing, thanks for sharing

happy weekend

Victoria said...

Congratulations, my love! What a wonderful accomplishment! You have come so far, and I'm so excited that you will actually be getting your dream kitchen soon :) I guess if I dream for great things, and write them in my blog, maybe they will happen too! Wishing all the best now and always. Xo

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Happy Blogaversary! You have come a long way baby...in a year! I always look forward to reading your new post....love your food and love your personality. And wow what a huge amount of flavor in that ganache!

Nancy said...

Congratulations sweetie!! You've written what is so great about our community and being a food blogger so well. Foodiva's Kitchen always offers something delicious with an inspirational story. Cheers and here's to many more blogversaries :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your well wishes Jean, Roxana, Victoria, Evelyne, and Nancy. It's been really great getting to know such fab bloggers as all of you, and the best part aside from the recipes is the sharing of knowledge and stories about our lives. Time certainly flies when we're having fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails